Let's Take the "Cosmetics Challenge" Again!


Hi Everyone,
I'm back from a weekend with family!  So, I have switched to a much more natural body care regimen.  I will show you what I am now using and the numbers of chemicals in each product.  I am using Face Naturals and Nubian Heritage products now.  Here is my new "Cosmetics Challenge" in the table below.  I used the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Database, www.ewg.org/skindeep/ to evaluate the relative hazards of the new products that I am using.  What is kind of interesting is that Burt's Bees, which has a reputation for being "natural," has a lot of chemicals in it and a fairly high EWG hazard.  Tarte make-up is supposed to be natural, but it has a lot of chemicals and the same EWG hazard of 3 as Almay mascara, which is the drugstore brand.

More Natural Care Products # chemicals EWG Hazard
NH Shea butter soap 4 1
FN face soap 0 0
FN lavender deodorant 1 1
NH Shea butter lotion 6 2
FN face moisturizer 2 0
FN Plum perfect eye cream 2 0
Burt's Bees lip-gloss 14 4
Tarte mascara 14 3
FN Peppermint toothpaste 1 0
Alaffia Black African Soap 1 1
GF Leave-in conditioning hair cream 10 4
NH papaya&coconut hand cream 8 2
63 1.5

*EWG Hazard, 0-2=low hazard, 3-6=moderate hazard, 7-10-high hazard

You may notice from my June 12th blog post that I kept the same hair conditioner. Some things just aren't worth the fight. :) Finding things that work on my hair is one of those fights that I'm just not up to right now.  Maybe in the future.

Talk to you later!
Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment

Design by SeauxDemure